What is Online Proofing ?
Collaborative review and approval of any creative project in an internet connected application...
Well this is a quite academic definition, but not that bad.
Online proofing is not to be confused with Soft Proofing.
What is Soft Proofing ?
Soft proofing is the electronic version of the historical hardcopy color proofs used by printshops or repro companies for over half a century. Products like Dupont Cromalin or 3M Matchprint were the leading hardcopy proof products and have disappeared today, replaced by color contract proofing systems using inkjet printers like EPSON. The main intent of Soft proofing is to properly render the final printed result like an Epson is able to do using ICC profiles. This requires some very accurate capabilities to render colors and content. Sometimes, soft proofing is called "Contract proofs" because they will be used for final approval in a printing production environment.
Can I expect both Soft and Online Proofing from a single application ?
Yes, sure. But only a very few of them are really able to do it. In the Saas industry, on this specific subject, Aproove looks to be the only one able to combine contract content display with easy collaborative features. Aproove includes the best of both worlds : Accurate technical display with the flexibility of a creative tool. You don't have to be concerned about all of the back-end technology, Aproove simply handles it for you. Aproove relies on 2 major technologies to ensure this result :
- Aproove patented technology for the rendering on any device (good display). It guarantees accurate colors using ICC standards, and instant high resolution display on any device.
- Genuine Adobe technology to interpret PDF content ensures 100% accurate content rendering. These combined technologies give you the best contract proof and online proofing solution on the market. Other online proofing solutions are simply not able to make guarantees relating to content or color, due to the complexities and large number of variables involved. In spite of these complexities and variables, Aproove manages these tasks easily because we specifically developed it for this purpose. Ask Macy's in NYC, they've used it every day for years as a soft proofing tool while Staples uses it to online proof hundreds of thousands of pages per year across 26 countries with over 500 concurrent users.
Is Online proofing "only" enough for me ?
Online proofing only at the creative stages may be enough, but once you need to produce your creative work for output on your Online proofing system, you'll need to re-process all of your files into a production certified environment (a real soft proofing system) and unintended surprises or differences will often arise.
Using Aproove, there are no surprises at the Soft proofing's later stage, at the printshop or from your repro company. Aproove is accurate from square one.
The same issues are present for other types of creative work that aren't intended for final print output. For example, image retouching for a photographer or web usage. Only a system with proper color management is able to guarantee that what you see is what you will get at the end. Ask image or web professionals, they will explain how difficult it is to maintain a color calibrated workflow. Aproove does this without the need for you to become a color Guru, you simply use it.
The questions you need to ask when searching for an accurate and professional system are simple :
• How do you interpret PDF files? What is your engine? If the answer is not genuine Adobe technology, avoid it. It's not accurate and not worth the risk.
• How do you manage colors and display? Do you have any controls for color? If the answer is 'no color management', don't expect your clients or team members to see the same representation as you see on your screen.
• Are you able to display native resolution of any asset? ie. Full resolution of images or PDF? If the answer is no, avoid it and don't waste your time. There are many systems available with this valuable capability.
• Are you able to manage your projects as a real project entity in your system and link it to your workflow? (Project concept VS file system with folder concept - New way VS old classical way ?).
How different is Online Proofing compared to other technologies ?
Online proofing takes the concept of soft-proofing and takes it a step further by supporting many more file formats and other kinds of media like Video. Other limited technologies are mainly email clients like outlook, gmail with scanned documents using back and forth messages indicating changes or correction requests inside it... Basically a nightmare.
The major benefits of a good Online proofing system will be :
• No more email storm.
• No file size limitation in review, upload and download.
• No software install required, no IT involvement.
• No more FTP, DropBox or WeTransfer required for sending large files.
Who uses Online Proofing ?
The obvious answer would be the creatives, but today, anyone who needs to create and manage documents, artwork, pictures or movies, is a potential user. Using Aproove, you will save a tremendous amount of valuable time by only focusing on your job and automating everything else. The ability to easily involve all necessary parties in the process can end up saving you hours or even days on your timeline.
Aproove is a unique solution combining the best of Online proofing with Soft proofing quality and powerful File management system capabilities. From Briefing to Sign off Aproove answers all workflow questions you may have.